Getting rid of popup windows for good

Gijs Kruitbosch gijskruitbosch at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 12:38:19 UTC 2014

On 26/08/2014 19:06, Rimas Kudelis wrote:
> I believe that the ability of a blacklisted website to open pop-ups in
> response to certain JS events is certainly a bug (I took time to
> blacklist it, why is that preference not being favored?). If we don't
> want to block all pop-ups by default, than perhaps at least this bug
> should be fixed. However, in that case, our permissions UI should also
> be updated, because this setting is then effectively not binary (allow
> [all]/block [some] pop-ups), but trinary (allow all/allow some/block all
> popups).
At the risk of sounding very ignorant about the product I'm working
on... what blacklist is this, and how are you modifying it?

The popup notification bar, about:permissions, the prefs dialog, and the
page info dialog all expose the same system, AFAICT, which is hardcoded
to "block most popups by default" (ie based on the events pref you
discussed previously), and where changing the pref to "allow" will
adjust the whitelist, AIUI.

We could add a blacklist in addition to the whitelist, but it'd be a
little confusing to have both.

Finally, I expect that there'll be issues where sites both use "good"
popups (ie, you specifically click something which tries to open a new
window, and if you prevent that from happening, you can't do whatever
you were trying to accomplish - things like the dialog you noted was
broken, but done by the webpage instead of by chrome, and therefore not
"fixable" by us) and bad ones (the ones we *want* to block). Adding a
blacklist wouldn't really fix the issue on those sites, as it's an
all-or-nothing approach.

~ Gijs