Getting rid of popup windows for good

Shane Caraveo scaraveo at mozilla.com
Mon Aug 25 23:48:01 UTC 2014

On 2014-08-25 3:48 PM, Gavin Sharp wrote:
> How do most "pop-behinds" work? I've certainly seen those, and I have
> a hard time thinking of valid use cases for that behavior (they have
> been 100% annoyance in my experience).
> Someone figuring out how to block those would be great - probably
> relatively tricky.
Never looked into it, apparently the correct term is popunder.  A quick
look at popunder scripts, seems they do this within a click event:

w = window.open()
w.blur()
window.focus()

I wonder why "open new windows in a tab instead" pref doesn't work on
this...hmm, that is only link targets, not window.open.