Getting rid of popup windows for good

Manish Goregaokar manishsmail at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 23:37:37 UTC 2014

I mostly come across legitimate popups, but they also seem whitelistable.
However, this breaks the flow of the page and you sometimes will have to
reload to get the full benefit, depending on how the popup was meant to be
used.

Am I correct in assuming that this is for popups and not for
open-in-new-tab (which window.open can also be used for)? Just as it's
pretty common to manually wire up "smart" links that use
`document.location` and click handlers, it's also somewhat common to do the
same for middle click, I *just* wrote a patch for rustdoc which uses
window.open in response to a click event for making middle-click on certain
things work -- if window.open as a whole was blocked, this would get in the
way of sites which use JS for opening things in new tabs.

-Manish Goregaokar