Getting rid of popup windows for good

L. David Baron dbaron at dbaron.org
Mon Aug 25 23:10:40 UTC 2014

On Monday 2014-08-25 15:48 -0700, Gavin Sharp wrote:
> How do most "pop-behinds" work? I've certainly seen those, and I have
> a hard time thinking of valid use cases for that behavior (they have
> been 100% annoyance in my experience).
> Someone figuring out how to block those would be great - probably
> relatively tricky.

Another possibility for pop-behinds (and perhaps popups in general)
is to close any popups that the user hasn't interacted with when the
user leaves the site (for some definition of site that's probably
broader than single page) by navigating away or closing the tab.

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,
             And to whom I was like to give offense.