Getting rid of popup windows for good

Gijs Kruitbosch gijskruitbosch at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 21:45:15 UTC 2014

On 25/08/2014 22:37, Jared Wein wrote:
> [...]
This was exactly my point. I must have overdone it, because you are not
the first to call me out here. So let me make myself explicit: I'm not
against fixing bad popups - by all means! But I think that "your
experience is not universal" goes for the OP as much as for me - and so
we should proceed with caution if we want to change defaults (which is
what the OP proposed).

In particular, I think the stereotypical non-technical users
(evergreens, your (grand)parents, what have you) will not deal well with
an off-by-default system as suggested by the OP. ("In browser X, if I
click the button on site Y, it just works - why does it break in
Firefox?") In other words, I have less faith in that infobar, and/or
think that the false positive ratio will be so high that it will become
annoying - more annoying for more users than the popups/popunders are
now. That last part brings us full circle: without data, it's impossible
to tell, and we're all (literally everyone in this thread) just
extrapolating from our own experiences.

~ Gijs