Getting rid of popup windows for good

Gijs Kruitbosch gijskruitbosch at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 21:29:10 UTC 2014

On 24/08/2014 18:30, Rimas Kudelis wrote:
> Hi!
>
> 11 years ago, Bug 212163 (Pop-ups are not blocked on code run from
> onclick) was wontfixed.
>
> Even today Firefox defaults to allowing any websites (even those
> blacklisted by the user) to open any pop-up windows in response to any
> of these events: change click dblclick mouseup reset submit touchend.
> Now, I would like Mozilla to review that decision again, because the
> situation has changed a lot in these years:
>
> 1. the web has evolved, and legitimate use of real pop-ups seems quite
> rare nowadays,
Hi,

You're using a different web from me, and many other users, clearly. I
see very few if any unwanted popups, with my browser often open for
multiple days and 0 unexpected windows appearing and/or remaining
(pop-unders).

I'm sure there are places where you never see "real" popups, but e.g.
GMail provides primary UI to open compose/chat windows in their own
(popup) windows, and I'm sure there are many similar examples. Then
there are all the wifi gateway sites that open "you're logged in"
popups, and so on.

Without hard data, it's difficult to be sure, but I think this first
claim ('legitimate use of real pop-ups seems quite rare nowadays') does
not reflect the broader web, and that we therefore shouldn't make what
you suggest the default.

That doesn't mean not fixing e.g. bug 918780 so that users who do change
these prefs themselves can do that, but I don't know how highly that
should be prioritized.

~ Gijs