new-tab page stealing the control-k search shortcut

Benjamin Smedberg benjamin at smedbergs.us
Tue Aug 19 15:18:38 UTC 2014

I've noticed recently that when the new-tab page is open and I press
control-k to go to the search box, the focus goes to the toolbar search
box and then quickly shifts to the new-tab search box. This really
bothers me for the following reasons:

* The cursor quick-switching looks like an accident
* My eyes are looking for the cursor in the search box, but it's not
there any more
* The search box has my last remembered search text in it, which I may
want to keep or change, but the new-tab search box doesn't have that

I don't really care whether we have the search box on the new-tab page,
but I don't think it should steal focus/shortcuts from the normal search
box, for these reasons.

--BDS