firefox development process changes

Chris Peterson cpeterson at mozilla.com
Wed Aug 13 02:22:27 UTC 2014

On 8/12/14 6:43 AM, Benjamin Smedberg wrote:
> I haven't been posting my daily review publicly because often enough
> it has been non-public management work. At gps's prodding I'm going to
> try daily postings and see whether I can include enough detail to be
> useful to others.

I read [1] of an alternative to the dreaded templatized status report
where people send "check it out!" emails to the team when they land a
notable fix or feature. It's easy and gives the whole team visibility
into what people have been working on. The author also says the emails
are good for team morale because everyone is sending and receiving
frequent reminders about the team's steady progress improving the
product. A drawback is that this process is retrospective. It only tells
people what you have completed, not what you are currently working on or
blocked on.

My experience with daily or weekly status report templates is that they
involve a lot of boilerplate and copy/paste. If your status reports are
longer than a tweet, busy people are unlikely to read them. :) As an
experiment last year, I posted brief status reports on Twitter once or
twice a day. The process was low overhead, but I stopped because I was
the only person participating.

chris

[1] Steve Macguire's "Debugging the Development Process: Practical
Strategies for Staying Focused, Hitting Ship Dates, and Building Solid
Teams" (Microsoft Press, 1994)