firefox development process changes

Benjamin Smedberg benjamin at smedbergs.us
Tue Aug 12 13:43:55 UTC 2014

On 8/11/2014 5:08 PM, Gijs Kruitbosch wrote:
> For one, looking up the relevant bug IDs for my reviews, patches
> written, helping out QA with verification, etc. takes upwards of 3
> minutes, especially on Monday because "yesterday" is now Friday, so
> good luck remembering what you did 3 days ago (and/or what others did
> to bugs where you were waiting on them)!

Perhaps this is a question of the level of detail people expect and want
in a status report. I can't speak to what Gavin wants on his team, but
for my team I really don't want that level of detail. In terms of team
communication, I would expect:

* that you spent two hours on reviews. Call out the big review for bug N
because you know three people were blocked on it.
* a half-day writing code. You wrote the test for bug N but none of the
code yet
* and the rest of your time got eaten up by miscellaneous stuff
* You know that Y is blocked on a review, and you plan on doing it
first-thing tomorrow morning. After that you've got a half-day of
training and don't expect to write any code tomorrow.

> Then on top of the time spent writing up what I/others did in bugs,
> there's trying to remember whatever I've done that was not tracked in
> bugs (that are in the iteration/backlog).
I'm not sure what this means.

>> One of the distinct advantages of daily status reporting is that you
>> have an opportunity to make a decision about your work each day. This
>> isn't just about *what* you accomplished but also also about
>> *deciding* what to do. That's not something you can do every two
>> weeks! It gives me at least a great sense of control over my own work
>> to review each day and decide what I'm going to do the next day.
> I'm confused. The latest post here:
> http://benjamin.smedbergs.us/weekly-updates.fcgi/user/benjamin%40smedbergs.us/posts
> is from February. Are you using a different tool? Should I be looking
> elsewhere? Am I just missing posts from people?

I haven't been posting my daily review publicly because often enough it
has been non-public management work. At gps's prodding I'm going to try
daily postings and see whether I can include enough detail to be useful
to others.

>> Another goal of very lightweight and frequent status reporting is to
>> make sure that other people on the team know what you're working on
>> and blocked on. The trick is being able to very quickly scan the
>> team's status at some point, and highlight the most important bits,
>> which are usually the "blocked on" data and mentions of your own
>> name. Those are improvements to the status reporting tool that I'd
>> like to do soon.
> But the "team" stuff is messed up. I see people in the "firefox" team
> whose email addresses (and that's all the tool shows!) I don't even
> recognize.
Is that bad? Are they not working on Firefox at all? The explicit goal
of the tool was to make it possible for volunteers to integrate in with
the teams more effectively, so that employees can know what volunteers
are doing.

--BDS