firefox development process changes

Benjamin Smedberg benjamin at smedbergs.us
Mon Aug 11 20:45:57 UTC 2014

On 8/11/2014 3:33 PM, Gijs Kruitbosch wrote:

> Which paradoxically provides a reasoning why the Tuesday meeting was
> eliminated, but not why we now should be spending time on on this
> *every day* instead. Doing so (and I suspect this is the main reason
> for the reluctance) is just as, if not more, tedious than a
> once-every-two-week meeting.

I'm surprised by this. Are you worried about the time it would take to
*write* the daily status report, or the time it would take to *read*
others' reports?

My hope is that it won't take long at all to write a daily report: 1-3
minutes. You know what you worked on today, and you should know what
you're planning on doing tomorrow. I would strongly encourage you to do
these daily reports at the end of the day, not the beginning, since
everything will be fresher. I'd like feedback on whether this takes more
than 3 minutes and if so why and whether more tooling would help!

One of the distinct advantages of daily status reporting is that you
have an opportunity to make a decision about your work each day. This
isn't just about *what* you accomplished but also also about *deciding*
what to do. That's not something you can do every two weeks! It gives me
at least a great sense of control over my own work to review each day
and decide what I'm going to do the next day.

Another goal of very lightweight and frequent status reporting is to
make sure that other people on the team know what you're working on and
blocked on. The trick is being able to very quickly scan the team's
status at some point, and highlight the most important bits, which are
usually the "blocked on" data and mentions of your own name. Those are
improvements to the status reporting tool that I'd like to do soon.

--BDS