firefox development process changes

Gregory Szorc gps at mozilla.com
Mon Aug 11 20:37:47 UTC 2014

On 8/11/14 12:33 PM, Gijs Kruitbosch wrote:
> On 11/08/2014 19:42, Richard Newman wrote:
>> My 2¢ on the whole thing: when I hear "daily status updates" I think
>> "man, am I glad to be on the mobile team".
>
> I'm not on the mobile team so I can't say that.
>
> But it's been 12 days since the initial email went out and a week since
> the start of the first new cycle with this requirement. Only 6 engineers
> have posted something since last week (disclaimer: myself included), and
> none of us have posted something at the start of every day so far
> (although 2 people came close, myself not included). Out of 20-odd
> engineers. Interpret that how you like as to how much those of us on the
> desktop team like it...

I didn't even realize daily updates were on the table! That fact was
buried on the second sentence of the 5th item in a list and I completely
skimmed over it. I would expect a major change to workflow to be
underscored more clearly. I assume it was mentioned in meetings (that I
missed because I've been caught up in relocation chaos).

I think daily updates are a bit excessive. I have concerns about the
spam (I already discard most status update emails because very few
relate to me). If we are going the daily route, I'd rather we
pre-populate as much as possible from tools and leave the frequency an
individual-level and circumstances-dependent variable.