PLACES_AUTOCOMPLETE_1ST_RESULT_TIME_MS changes on Nightly since 07/25

Marco Bonardo mbonardo at mozilla.com
Fri Aug 8 07:17:55 UTC 2014

On 07/08/2014 23:45, Gavin Sharp wrote:
> Interesting - so perhaps not as much of a win as I had thought. It
> sounds to me like we might want telemetry on the overall time to
> display "all results" (or all "initially visible" results) to get a
> better picture of the overall effect of autocomplete changes. I could
> see making the first result appear quickly but subsequent results
> appear more slowly being a net negative in terms of user perception,
> for example.

We might add it for the first 3-6 results, my fear is that it's a
measure that is very bound to the user habits and the database shape.
for example an adaptive result would appear very fast, an history result
may take 1ms as well as 1s, since we must scan the whole table to look
for it, it might be among the first or the last.
Though, I think it's worth a shot, it could still show us
improvements/regressions even if it might have lots of variation.
I will file a bug for it.
-m