firefox development process changes

Gavin Sharp gavin at gavinsharp.com
Thu Aug 7 22:57:07 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 11:55 AM, Gavin Sharp <gavin at gavinsharp.com> wrote:
> The cap shouldn't prevent you from picking up more work if you
> otherwise have nothing else to do.

I want to emphasize this point further, since I think this wasn't made
as clear as it could be.

The cap is a cap on the work that you *commit to* for a given
iteration - as such it's only really relevant at the planning meeting,
and not later in the iteration when deciding to pick up new work.

There is no blanket requirement that additional work beyond your
commitment be "approved" by GMC (or anyone else). However, we are
asking for a few things:
* Do not pick up new work if it will jeopardize your ability to
complete your committed work. We are trusting you to use your
judgement here. If we notice you picking up new work when there is
unblocked committed work outstanding, we might reach out to ask why!
This is why Marco has been pushing back on some of the recent "please
add this" requests - not because all new work must be approved, but
because in those cases it looked like it was being done at the expense
of committed work. Usually you have good reasons for making those
decisions, but it's not always easy to see what they are. Dropping
committed work is always a possibility, but the rationale for doing so
should be made clear in the bug, and it should be communicated
clearly.
* When picking new work, please go to the backlog first if possible.
Again, we are trusting you to use your judgement.

Gavin