firefox development process changes -- motivation/goals?

Gavin Sharp gavin at gavinsharp.com
Thu Aug 7 19:02:49 UTC 2014

Here's a rough go at the reasoning:

> We will eliminate the Tuesday status meetings entirely

A meeting just didn't seem to be working very well to track status,
and it seemed tedious for the people attending to have to sit around
while other people provided detailed updates. Eliminating the meeting
and shifting to async status reporting seemed better overall (more
effective and less burdensome).

> We will eliminate the "Eastern" planning meeting

There ended up being very few people in those meetings, and none of
the attendees minded going to the (only slightly earlier) "European"
meeting.

> GMC will be reviewing UX bugs and breakdown bugs as they are completed

The problem: stuff was landing in Firefox (or work was being done)
that the desktop leadership team (and the broader team in general)
wasn't aware of, and sometimes disagreed with. I can't think of
examples offhand, but both Chad and I got the feeling that we should
do a better job of staying on top of things. There's a reasonable
concern that this proposed solution will be overly burdensome and/or
won't scale, which is why we're just trying this out, and will adjust
as needed. The goal of the review is to just "be aware", and have an
opportunity to comment or guide the direction of high-level efforts.
This is something that we are committing to, and not something we
expect to have significant impact on the team (most of the time people
make the right call, and we already help guide decisions in many
areas, just not all).

Gavin