firefox development process changes

Gavin Sharp gavin at gavinsharp.com
Thu Aug 7 18:55:33 UTC 2014

Thanks for the feedback, Marco - sorry for the lagged response!

(Other) Marco has already made improvements to the estimation
spreadsheet for next time around, keep that feedback coming if you
have any.

For status updates, it's probably useful to start with the primary
goal: having an easy way for everyone on the team to get a detailed
look of team progress on the committed work in a given iteration, at a
higher frequency than once a week.

A secondary goal is to having a way to expose the blockers to
productivity (e.g. code review, external dependencies, unanswered
questions, unclear objectives, PTO, etc.) without needing to review
activity for every active bug in Bugzilla. Staying on top of my
bugmail is hard enough already :)

The alternate proposal you suggest sounds like it would satisfy the
primary goal, but would not really satisfy the second, in that there's
no way to explain the reasons why a bug is blocked. That's what we
proposed a "what's blocked" field in the text status updates. We could
do a combination of both, certainly.

Hopefully that helps clarify the motivation - I will circle back and
come up with a revised proposal which hopefully addresses all of your
concerns. If you have any further ideas, let me know!

Gavin