PLACES_AUTOCOMPLETE_1ST_RESULT_TIME_MS changes on Nightly since 07/25

Marco Bonardo mbonardo at mozilla.com
Wed Aug 6 08:02:35 UTC 2014

On 05/08/2014 21:44, Gavin Sharp wrote:
> http://telemetry.mozilla.org/#filter=nightly%2F34%2FPLACES_AUTOCOMPLETE_1ST_RESULT_TIME_MS
> is interesting (discovered via
> http://vitillo.github.io/cerberus/dashboard/).
>
> That measure has decreased noticeably across the board. Do we know why?

The first result now is often the autoFilled result, any other result
happens after a timer (to avoid querying too often while the user types)
while autoFill query runs immediately. So now this is basically
measuring time taken by the autoFill query to fill up the first popup
result, while previously it was measuring time taken by the first
autocomplete query to do the same. The good thing is that this way it
looks like we are returning results faster, so autocomplete will indeed
"look" snappier to the user.

-m