Restricting Bugzilla comments

Justin Dolske dolske at mozilla.com
Tue Aug 5 18:49:08 UTC 2014

On 8/5/14 10:36 AM, Kev Needham wrote:
> I honestly hope we never, ever do that. I would rather call bullshit out
> vs. filtering it, unless it is spam and/or against the ToS, in which
> case the comments are still visible with the author name and a "this
> comment violates policy x and has been removed" vs. filtering.

We've been doing it for a while, 55 bugs as of today:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=ALL+restrict%3A1

Generally these have been bugs whose innate subject attracts flames and
other nonconstructive comments, which makes the bug useless as a problem
tracker (i.e., it becomes a complaint forum). Engaging is no longer
useful when people ignore previous discussion and decisions on the topic
(even within the same bug!), and are just venting or rehashing the same
things.

There was also a recent batch of such bugs due to repeated Australis
Nazi spam, where restricting comments was one of the few anti-spam tools
available at the time.

When the comment-restricting feature was first implemented, there was
concern about how to use it without abusing it ("omgcensorship!"). That
hasn't been a problem in practice, and I think it could stand to be used
more often.

Still, restricting the whole bug often feels like too big of a hammer.
Even per-comment moderation can be challenging when it's a mix of  being
constructive and non-constructive, or when the problem stems from the
aggregate of marginal comments. I suspect we need a better way to
politely let users know their comment doesn't quite meet the standard we
aspire to, and that they should consider revising and resubmitting.

But there's still the problem of that being a retroactive tool...
Developers who primarily follow bugmail (and are often the subject of
said abuse) still have to deal with the initial brunt of it. I don't
know if there's a good solution to that.

Justin