Restricting Bugzilla comments

Mike Hoye mhoye at mozilla.com
Tue Aug 5 18:01:48 UTC 2014

On 2014-08-05 1:36 PM, Kev Needham wrote:
> I honestly hope we never, ever do that. I would rather call bullshit
> out vs. filtering it, unless it is spam and/or against the ToS, in
> which case the comments are still visible with the author name and a
> "this comment violates policy x and has been removed" vs. filtering.

There's room for interesting tools here, for sure. Metafilter makes good
use of timeouts: one to three day lockouts that amount to "go and cool
down for a while".  BoingBoing and Making Light sometimes use
"disemvowelling" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disemvoweling - as well,
though I find that one kind of distasteful.

In any case, line between passionate debate between strongly-held
positions and abusive behavior can sometimes be fuzzy, but it's usually
pretty obvious when someone's decided to plant both feet on the wrong
side of that line.

- mhoye