Possibility of having small FOSS projects in introductory CS courses

Manish Goregaokar manishsmail at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 08:46:51 UTC 2014

On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 6:34 AM, Gen Kanai <gkanai at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Manish,
>
> David Humphries at Seneca College has been teaching via Mozilla and OSS
> for many years.
>
> http://zenit.senecac.on.ca/wiki/index.php/Mozilla
>
> http://commonspace.wordpress.com/2009/03/26/how-mozilla-at-senecay-works/
>
> Gen

This is brilliant! It seems to be a more advanced course, but I bet David
might have some advice that will apply here as well.

This actually reminds me of the Wikipedia Education Program. What Wikipedia
does is that they tie up with colleges, and as part or all of the
coursework for a semester, you have to edit/improve one or more Wikipedia
articles on topics that fall under that course. Usually they have 10ish
"wikipedia-ified" courses running in one semester in one college.

To facilitate this, they have a set of Campus Ambassadors -- people
(students, professors, etc) on campus who either already know about
Wikipedia's policies (or have been trained -- usually they hold training
sessions before the semester starts); and also some Online Ambassadors --
Wikipedians who guide the students online. It usually works out well, and
some amazing things have come out.

It might be possible to do something at a smaller scale for Firefox (or
other Mozilla technologies). Help professors hold such "Mozilla courses"
that get people involved in FOSS. The community is large enough so that
there usually are some local Mozillians who can help out, as well as our
vast pool of contributors online from which we might be able to get mentors.

This won't exactly work for this particular course, but in general it might
be something that can be tried without much investment of resources (We
don't need to do it at WIkipedia's level)

-Manish