Some community engagement news.

Manish Goregaokar manishsmail at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 17:49:05 UTC 2014

> So: I'm in the early stages of planning a short course about effective
> mentoring; what we know about communicating and educating people, how that
> applies to our community, best practices to adopt and pitfalls to avoid.
> I'd like to subject people inside Mozilla to this thing and then expand
> that out to community contributors who we'd like to see become mentors.
>
> If you're interested in being a part of that - as a recipient or
> contributor - let me know.

This sounds awesome! I've been mentoring a small amount online and a bit
more locally (in person), and I'd certainly love to get better at it.

(I'm a community contributor, not "inside" Mozilla, though)

Additionally, the course resources (slides, videos, etc) might be useful
for other FOSS projects as well. I've noticed that Mozilla is one of the
most welcoming and helpful projects for newbies, and I recommend it often
for that reason (Mediawiki is another, but less so.) Sharing these
resources might improve the newbie environment for other
projects/organizations.

-Manish