Status of click-to-play plugins in Firefox 24/26

Florian Bender florian.bender at quantumedia.de
Wed Oct 30 16:31:11 UTC 2013

Am 30.10.2013 um 12:08 schrieb Dão Gottwald <dao at design-noir.de>:
> This still depends on your eyes looking somewhere near the icon. Similar to the idea of letting popup notifications appear automatically only for a second or two in order to draw attention to the icon, this seems like a hack that would make the UI suck a little less for some lucky users without really tackling its inherent discoverability weakness.

How about a similar animation Firefox does when a download finishes? This should be restricted to same-origin applets, though.

I don't know how this is handled right now, but how about showing the doorhanger only for same-origin applets? That way most attack vectors (e.g. rogue applets via ad networks) are excluded from a more visible API.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Florian Bender

· quantumedia | Kalchthaler, Müller & Partner GbR
Neuhäuserstr. 130 · 79199 Freiburg/Kirchzarten · Tel. 0761 458 99 28-0
USt-IdNr: DE280390014 · Geschäftsführer: Gregor Kalchthaler, Philipp Müller