Status of click-to-play plugins in Firefox 24/26

John Wong gokoproject at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 15:24:16 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 9:08 AM, Benjamin Smedberg <benjamin at smedbergs.us>wrote

> On 10/30/2013 6:16 AM, John Wong wrote:
>
>> I want to discuss a point that might have been suggested/discussed
>> already.
>> Even as a developer, the initial blocking "Your Java version is outdated"
>> is not helpful in the case of someone running latest Java runtime.
>>
>> Expectations:
>>
>> 1. Just say Java is blocked on Firefox from x version
>> 2. Give a help message
>>
>> A sample message in the UI would look like this
>>
>> Java runtime is disabled on Firefox starting version x.
>>        What does this mean to me? How to re-enable it?
>>
> I'm not sure what you mean. There are two cases:
>
> * The user is running an old version of Java (earlier than Java 7 release
> 45). In this case we want to prompt the user to update Java.
> * The user is running the latest version of Java. Mozilla believes that
> Java is fundamentally insecure and users should only use it when necessary,
> so we present the warning UI but users may still click to activate Java on
> particular sites.
>
> Which of these cases are you worried about, and what exactly is your
> proposal?
>
> --BDS

I am suggesting that we should include help text to tell users why this
occurs to them and how to mitigate/resolve this issue.
As we all know one of the biggest criticism is the same error message is
displayed to users running the latest Java.
A help text linking "why mozilla is doing this" and "how" can be helpful.
Note I do agree completely that most users will just click on the alert to
renable Java anyway. But there are comments in HN about people trying to
understand why. So consider adding a help text linking to mozilla press
release/help in our future click-to-play UI.