Status of click-to-play plugins in Firefox 24/26

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Wed Oct 30 09:53:24 UTC 2013

On 29/10/13 19:50, Benjamin Smedberg wrote:
> You mean the icon in the page, or the icon in the location bar? In
> general, the goal is for the icon in the location bar not to be obvious:
> the primary UI is clicking on the plugin in the page.

What happens if the plugin in the page is not visible? Is the lego block
all that's left?

Anecdote: I am on the firefox-dev mailing list and so probably am more
aware than 99.999% of the population about the possibility of plugins
being click-to-play. However, twice in the last few weeks (once for a
Cisco browser-based Java VPN client and once for Google Hangouts)
something on the web has entirely stopped working and it's taken me an
hour to figure out that it was because there was a plugin not running
that needed to be unblocked.

There was no UI indicating that a plugin had been blocked apart from the
lego block, which I simply did not notice. Google Hangouts itself takes
up the entire popup window and yet I assume they don't make the plugin
visible by default, because there was no "click here to enable plugin"
UI in the page.

We need to be absolutely certain that, one way or another, the enabling
UI is obvious. If the plugin doesn't have space on the page, we need
something else instead.

Gerv