Measuring Australis…

Irving Reid irving at mozilla.com
Wed Oct 23 16:29:46 UTC 2013

The short answer is that Telemetry, at its core, is just JSON; we can
put whatever you need in there, as long as you're willing to write a
custom analysis back end for information that isn't simple numbers or
histograms.

Beyond that, it comes down to what information would prove useful in
aggregate form, and is there a place in the Firefox code base where we
can reliably record that information.

One more thing: Telemetry session data objects are already quite large;
we're looking for ways to identify elements that no longer need to be
collected. For the future, we'd like to start including documentation of
the expected life cycle for new Telemetry data elements. Are they
intended to be permanent, or are they part of a specific experiment and
can be removed after enough data is gathered?

  - irving -