Browser source maps

Benjamin Smedberg benjamin at smedbergs.us
Tue Oct 8 14:06:33 UTC 2013

On 10/8/2013 7:12 AM, Gijs Kruitbosch wrote:

> - do other people see value in having this available?
Yes. If for no other reason than you can have better stacks from things
in the browser console/debugger.

> - where should these maps live?
That depends on the answer below.
> - where should the original source files live? Can we host these
> remotely? (Nick, would anything break/complain if we had
> chrome://browser/content/browser.js have an http(s) sourceMappingURL,
> or perhaps a chrome:// hosted source map that referenced remote source
> files?)
We already have all of our source files on hg.mozilla.org via raw links,
which is what we use for the binary source server. We should just use that.
> - shipping this to release-channel end-users sounds like something
> that wouldn't be worth the extra package size. Would we want to
> include them on nightly (aurora?) to ease debugging etc.?
I don't think we can answer that without knowing how big they are. But
if you are correct about the package size, I don't see why we couldn't
stand up a very simple source-map server in a way similar to the
existing symbol server.

--BDS