New community in Firefox 24; degree and improving

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Tue Oct 1 08:45:06 UTC 2013

On 30/09/13 17:09, Mike Hoye wrote:
> - Codebase accessibility efforts; we know that there are a lot of
> pain-points involved in getting set up to actually fix a Firefox bug,
> particularly if you (like the overwhelming majority of our user base)
> are on Windows, starting from "getting set up to actually build Firefox
> is quite hard" right down to "our build documentation is inconsistent,
> sometimes  opaque, and often implicitly assumes you're a journeyman Unix
> developer". Glob and Liz Henry, among many others, have done a ton of
> work to mark routes and sherpa people up Mount Bugzilla, but getting
> past the MDN basecamp is still too hard a climb for many. There's plenty
> of progress being made here, but plenty still to make.

A long time ago, I wrote some software called Patch Manager, which
allowed people to hack on and produce patches for chrome bugs using only
a downloaded build of Firefox. Patch Manager itself morphed into Patch
Maker, a general "help you use your SCM" thing
<http://www.gerv.net/software/patch-maker/> but perhaps the idea could
be revived?

Gerv