The Australis "hamburger" button

Bram Pitoyo bram at mozilla.com
Tue Nov 26 02:35:20 UTC 2013

Personal opinion: I’m sure that alternative icons were considered and user
tested in the past (for example: wrench, screwdriver, gear, toolbox). Those
alternatives, while having the advantage of being more visually descriptive
than a hamburger, might not work as well because the Settings/Preferences
menu is accessed via an icon that’s also shaped like a gear. Having one
icon that leads to two different places is usually not a good idea.