The Australis "hamburger" button

Madhava Enros madhava at mozilla.com
Mon Nov 25 22:58:17 UTC 2013

Hi Hannes -

We've actually been talking about using an orange glow on the menu button lines when there's a notification or a need to convey "attention required."

I think you're right in that there are some use cases where we'd want it to be extremely obvious what browser, and what variant, is being used -- i.e. the "over the phone" case. In a milder day-to-day sense, I think that people who become used to the curved tabs and foreground/background distinction will find it extremely obvious when they're not using Firefox (that's been my experience, anyway).

The orange button was certainly distinctive, but it came with some drawbacks around available space for tabs in the titlebar, and a lack of consistency across platforms of where the menu sits (e.g. no orange button on Mac; a button but not orange on Linux; no Firefox button on Android), to name two. Now, for example, in the "over the phone tech support" case you cite, without knowing the user's platform, you can direct them to the menu button at far right.

Anyway - I agree that we want there to be something that it means to look like Firefox vs. other browsers. We'll keep thinking about it!

Madhava

--
Madhava Enros
Firefox User Experience