Australis reload button

Florian Bender florian.bender at quantumedia.de
Sun Nov 24 23:09:32 UTC 2013

Hi Mike,

there are so many people wanting a separate reload (and navigation) button, and while I completely agree with the course of the „giant navigation widget“, I’d like to propose a change:

1. Add separate buttons for (combined) reload/stop and maybe backwards/forwards (latter one always visible) to the default set of available buttons, but „hide“ them initially in the customization pool (so people who want those buttons to be somewhere else, need to drag them to the toolbar first).
2. (optional) When someone drags them into the toolbar, hide their respective entities from the navigation widget. This re-introduces some magic, but way less than was necessary for the previous auto-merge behavior (it’s basically a if-available script + set selector + `display:none`).

I think the maintenance cost of this proposal is minimal, and would make many people happy without compromising the Australis goals. Also, although this can be easily done through an add-on, it should be included by default because this helps reducing omg-change impact and show more customization friendliness (with very little cost).

I could also see this for the bookmarks widget / bookmark star in the location bar: Show the bookmark star in the location bar when the bookmarks widget is removed from the toolbar (and optionally add a separate bookmark menu widget which is only the „right“ part of the current bookmarks widget) – though this is probably a bit more complicated than the cases above.

Best regards,

Florian Bender

· quantumedia | Kalchthaler, Müller & Partner GbR
Neuhäuserstr. 130 · 79199 Freiburg/Kirchzarten · Tel. 0761 458 99 28-0
USt-IdNr: DE280390014 · Geschäftsführer: Gregor Kalchthaler, Philipp Müller