How to track down why firefox is crashing so much.

Bob Clary bob at bclary.com
Fri Nov 22 18:51:31 UTC 2013

On 11/22/2013 09:09 AM, Casey Jordan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have a fairly complex web application and the new production version
> of Firefox (25.1) seems to be very crash proned. I notice that it
> crashes every 10 min or so during normal browsing, but when using our
> application it is much more frequent. It also does not seem to be
> related to any one particular OS or plugin setup (Tried running in safe
> mode and other OS's still get the same result).
>
> I have submitted many crash reports but I fear this won't help anytime
> soon. If there is indeed a way to pinpoint why firefox is crashing,
> especially with our application how would I go about doing this?
>
> Thanks
>
> I should note that we have been running this app in firefox for the past
> 8 years and it is only the latest version of firefox that seems to have
> an issue.

After you crash and submit the crash report, go to about:crashes. You
should be able to load each crash report. For example,

https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/409bb3fa-fd92-4448-9dc4-9fc3e2131121

In this case the crash signature is

Firefox 25.0.1 Crash Report [@
js::GCMarker::processMarkStackTop(js::SliceBudget&) ]

If all of your crashes have the same signature, you are probably
experiencing a single bug. If you have more than one signature, it could
be the case there are several bugs that are the root cause.

If you scroll down the report, you will see a section "Related Bugs"
that will tell you if bugs have been filed for similar crashes. The ones
with lines through the bughunter should already be fixed, but if it
doesn't have a line then the bug is still open.

You can look at the bug and see if the developer needs help reproducing
the crash. If so, giving them concrete steps on how to reproduce the
crash may help.

If you don't see any related crashes, then it is likely the case that we
don't have a bug on file yet. You should go ahead and file a bug so that
we can get traction on it.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/QA/Bug_writing_guidelines?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=Bug_writing_guidelines

might be helpful as well as

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Triaging_crash_bugs

If you need additional help getting a bug on file, ping me on irc (nick:
bc) or email.

Good Luck
/bc