Australis first impressions

Benjamin Smedberg benjamin at smedbergs.us
Tue Nov 19 15:45:54 UTC 2013

I have actively avoided using Australis until now, so that I wasn't
affected by work-in-progress code. So I'm going to post some first
impressions after having used it for half a day or so.

1) I *hate* having no room in the titlebar. Does nobody use the mouse on
Windows? The amount of room you have between resize-dragging the top of
the window and dragging a tab is *tiny*. I know that there are hidden
prefs that fix this for me, and I even wrote
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/aero-window-title/ to
show the page title in the titlebar again, but this still feels like
it's going to be horrible for anyone who doesn't keep Firefox maximized
all the time. browser.tabs.drawInTitlebar = false looks ugly because of
styling: http://screencast.com/t/eNy3dY1u2

Also because the end of the tab bar ends before the minimize/close
buttons of the window, there is so little room for the non-pinned tabs.

2) I want my big refresh button back. I had customized Firefox so that
the refresh button wasn't in the location bar.

3) The bookmarks menu button icon at least has confusing graphics. It
looks like a zoomed-out version of the Firefox menu, so when I go over
there I have to think about which one I'm clicking. I don't ever use the
bookmarks menu, so I really wanted to customize it away, but I couldn't

4) I was surprised that I couldn't move the menu button. I figured from
screenshots and descriptions of Australis that I'd be able to customize
it and put it on the left of the tab bar, but apparently you can't even
move it at all. I kept trying to drag it, and Firefox just kept leaving
customize mode. This was frustrating until I asked about it on IRC.

--BDS