Australis landing soon

Mike Connor mconnor at mozilla.com
Fri Nov 15 20:07:20 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-15 1:00 PM, Chris Peterson wrote:

>> We're particularly interested in add-on compatibility. Most will work
>> as-is. Some will need changes, often simple to make. A few will require
>> deeper fixes. Australis has a lot of changes, and it's difficult to
>> predict what assumptions a specific add-on has made
>

> Is there a list of known changes to add-on compatibility? We should
> probably have an "add-on developers guide to Australis" wiki page so
> we can document add-on issues (and fixes) as we discover them.

+1 on the list.  There's probably a way to make a base list, but from
past experience with much smaller changes we should expect a fair bit of
long tail issues.  Mostly the issue is that there's a bunch of ways
add-on authors overlay/insert/append/override chrome bits, and it's hard
to predict which changes will matter.

I'm not up to date on where Jetpack is, but this would be a good
opportunity to highlight that model as a more robust/stable target.
Mossop, have you guys thought about using the cutover as a good
evangelism opportunity for "old-style" add-ons?

-- Mike