Australis landing soon

Justin Dolske dolske at mozilla.com
Thu Nov 14 17:00:23 PST 2013

The short summary:

We're planning to land Australis on Nightly on Monday, November 18th.
\o/ Please file bugs if you encounter add-on problems.

Some further details for those who, uhh, like detail:

Per the last update on firefox-dev, all our existing performance
blockers have been addressed, and the last-minute perf issue that popped
up (bug 937519) will be resolved by a backout of the m-c patch that
caused it. A summary of the expected Talos regressions is on
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Australis/Expected_talos_changes (we
should probably list the performance improvements there too!).

Out of caution, I'll note that it's remotely possible that fallout from
bug 937997 ("Trunk trees closed due to OOMs") could slightly delay the
landing... Mozilla-central has been closed for a few days to investigate
a memory leak (completely unrelated to Australis!), but top people are
working on getting the tree reopened ASAP.

The general plan is the same as before: we are landing on Nightly, and
will backout from Aurora upon uplift. So, next week's Nightly 28 will
have Australis, but after uplift (on December 9th) Aurora 28 will not.
Nightly 29 will continue to have Australis. It's possible Australis will
ride the 29 train through to release with Firefox 29 (April 15th). But
we'll be evaluating at each uplift if Australis is ready to ship -- and
hold it back again if not.

We'll be maintaining a temporary branch ("holly") of mozilla-central
with Australis backed out. See
http://msujaws.wordpress.com/2013/11/08/australis-landing-plans/ This
will run the usual complement of tests and Talos to help ensure the
non-Australis Aurora uplift will not have hidden bugs. If anyone has a
strong preference to avoid Australis, running these builds would be a
good way to do so while still helping us catch any problems for Aurora!

Note that to ease maintenance of the backout branch, we will have an
effective feature freeze for non-Australis code changing things
Australis also changes (the tabstrip and customization, basically). I
don't expect this to really affect anyone, because everyone who usually
works on such code is either already working on Australis, is in close
contact with someone who does, or will need deep code-review from
someone who does. Let me know if you're concerned this may impact you
(it probably doesn't), and we can figure it out.

Australis is in pretty reasonable shape, bug-wise. See
https://people.mozilla.org/~mnoorenberghe/australis/ for an overview
(the Bugzilla API is slow, sorry, so it takes a while to load). This is
basically showing the tree of bugs rooted under the main Australis
metabug, bug 870032. Many of the existing bugs are minor or have limited
impact. As with every software project, not all of them will be fixed
before shipping. But we'll be continuing to slash away at the list.

We're particularly interested in add-on compatibility. Most will work
as-is. Some will need changes, often simple to make. A few will require
deeper fixes. Australis has a lot of changes, and it's difficult to
predict what assumptions a specific add-on has made, or how severe a
glitch may be. In some cases we may be able to make changes in Australis
to restore compatibility. So, please file bugs about broken add-ons, and
help us contact add-on developers so they have time to make changes.
We're working on an updated list of Australis changes and fixes, and
will publish that soon.

Finally, if you haven't yet tried Australis, you can try it right now
with our UX builds: http://people.mozilla.org/~jwein/ux-nightly/

Justin