Australis update

Matt Woodrow matt.woodrow at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 22:03:27 UTC 2013

I agree that this shouldn't block the australis landing.

I don't think that we need to rush into a backout just yet though.
Reverting the changing is incredibly simple, and it's very unlikely that
we'll regress anything on the existing path (since all other platforms
are still using it).

I'd much prefer to leave it in for now, so that we can get more user
coverage of the changes and potentially find out more information on the
effects the change has. We already missed one regression on
mozilla-central, it's fairly plausible that there are other issues not
covered by tests on any branch.

I plan on getting a patch up today to make it configurable using a pref,
and get it uplifted to aurora/beta. That way it will be incredibly easy
to disable if/when we decide to do so, and we also provide an option for
users affected by the text bug.

How about we give this a week to settle, and if we haven't sufficiently
fixed the issue (or have a concrete plan for doing so), then we start
disabling it.

- Matt