Status of click-to-play plugins in Firefox 24/26

Benjamin Smedberg benjamin at smedbergs.us
Mon Nov 4 16:56:32 UTC 2013

On 11/4/2013 11:47 AM, Tetsuharu OHZEKI wrote:
>> == DISCOVERABILITY ==
> These mockups are looked like using notification bar instead of
> doorhanger.
Yes, that has already been decided.
>   I seem these notification bar is very ugly, if they are
> shown each time when a page has plugin contents, doesn't it?
They are shown when a page has *hidden* plugins, yes.
>   Well, if
> they are floated (hovered) on the top of a page, they need to trade
> off between notifying and page visibility for user about that its page
> has some plugin contents.
They are standard notification bars; they don't hover over the page,
they push it down.
>   Why can't we use doorhanger? Should we use
> any animated doorhanger's icon?
This was discussed at length, and it's clear from earlier iterations of
the CtP UI that the following options are not usable:

* animated notification icon: most users don't notice
* notification panel pops up but auto-hides after a few seconds: we
would at least need animations in order for users to notice, but also it
harms users who are not paying attention at the right moment or have
slow visual reactions. There is also no obvious way to dismiss the
notification so it never happens on again on a site.
* notification panel pops up and stays up: this doesn't have the right
balance: it basically prompts users to click 'Allow' just to get back to
using the page. Also early iterations which used this design showed that
users were accidentally dismissing the notification by clicking on the
page, and that it shares the problem of how to dismiss the notification
permanently when you don't need to use the plugin.

--BDS