Merge configuration pages (i. e. Addons, Prefs)

Florian Bender florian.bender at quantumedia.de
Fri Jun 14 21:04:37 UTC 2013

Hi everybody,

when looking over some mockups in Bug 754344 [1], I was wondering
whether it would make sense to actually merge the Addons page and
the (proposed) Pref in-content UI. I imagine it to look sth like this:

––––––––––––––––
== Customizations ==
– search Addons
– Addons
– …
––––––––––––––––
== Preferences ==
– General
– Tabs
– …
––––––––––––––––

(Whereas the headings are actually subtle in appearance, similar to how
the headings of different sections in Finder's sidebar appear.)

This would sort of unify the experience for users that wish to change how
their browsers work (which in fact includes basic preferences): There is
one huge control center where every aspect of the software can be
controlled, whereas the prior (current) behavior has different meanings
and places where the behavior can be controlled. IMHO a clear UX win.

Of course, both menu items (preferences, add ons) have to be maintained,
at least for the interim (while both point to the same site, they should point
to different parts, i. e. categories of the site).

The downside to this approach is that there's one _huge_ control center,
i. e. users may be overwhelmed by the UI because there is so much going
on resp. so many options to chose from. I don't know how to solve this or
lessen the UI impact.

Also, scrolling has to be sorted out first, as the current design does not
play well with scroll bars.

Another option could be to mimic the current (release) style with tabs, and
having only one item in the side bar ("Preferences") which shows the tabs
and prefs in the main view. However, this will introduce a new UI language
(tabs within a view) that should be avoided, IMHO.

What do you think? Does this make sense at all?

Best regards,

Florian Bender

quantumedia · Kalchthaler, Müller & Partner Media Services GbR
Münsterplatz 32 · 79098 Freiburg · Tel. 0761 458 99 28-0 · Fax 0761 458 99 28-9
USt-IdNr: DE280390014 · Geschäftsführer: Gregor Kalchthaler, Philipp Müller