proposal: using fx-team for (most) front-end landings

Gavin Sharp gavin at gavinsharp.com
Tue Jul 23 01:53:38 UTC 2013

John O'Duinn has proposed distributing the load from inbound across
multiple repositories, as a way to avoid pileups/congestion and reduce the
impact of inbound closures. The tree sheriffs are on board with this idea,
and the experience doing this for b2g on birch (soon to be formalized as
b2g-inbound) has been positive.

That means:

* Front-end work (and work that Firefox-team does in general) should
primarily land on fx-team rather than mozilla-inbound. This is a general
guideline, not a strict rule.
* Sheriffs would monitor fx-team branch and land green changesets from
fx-team to mozilla-central, using the same/similar cadence as they
currently land from mozilla-inbound to mozilla-central.
* If sheriffs hit a merge conflict, the code on mozilla-central wins, and
sheriffs will close the branch with merge conflict (any of mozilla-inbound,
fx-team, birch/b2g-inbound) until developers resolve
the merge conflict.

Since this represents very little change for us, I expect this to be
relatively controversial, but please let me know if there are any
objections or concerns.

Gavin