Reset Firefox -> Repair Firefox

Gavin Sharp gavin at gavinsharp.com
Mon Jul 8 23:41:46 UTC 2013

Finding the right balance between preserving data and improving
Firefox is tricky. The existing tool is a somewhat blunt instrument,
and so accordingly we were conservative with how we exposed it and
what we named it. I don't think we're at the point where we should be
feeling comfortable having users use this tool indiscriminately, so
I'm a bit wary of renaming it in a way that might encourage that.

Bug 833943 was a good fix. I think I would feel more comfortable
promoting this tool more widely if we also:
- explicitly warned about some of the higher-value information that
isn't restored: add-ons/themes, download history (as opposed to just
omitting them from the list of things that will be restored)
- added a mechanism for relatively easily "undoing" a reset

Gavin