Downloads API, second update

Paolo Amadini paolo.02.prg at amadzone.org
Tue Jul 2 14:23:51 UTC 2013

This is the second in a series of bi-weekly progress updates on the
Downloads API rewrite, with the goal of making the project more visible
and be able to collect feedback while we proceed. Feel free to reply to
this thread or contact myself in case you have any question.

In fact, the project is now tracked in the Performance wiki page:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Performance#Downloads_API_Rewrite

This means that high-level status updates for this project will also be
discussed in the Performance monthly meetings, together with all the
other performance work we're doing and you could be interested into:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Performance#Communication

(note: due to holidays, we'll meet the second Thursday of this month)

Notable work we've completed in the last 15 days include support for
serializing downloads to a JSON file (bug 835885), methods to remove
downloads when the related history entry is removed (bug 836485), and
support for the becauseBlocked property on DownloadError (bug 852599).
I'd like to thank Raymond Lee for making the API advance steadily
during all the past month, as well as Marco Bonardo and Neil Deakin
for providing code reviews and valuable advice over time.

Next, we're looking into adding methods to execute actions on completed
downloads (bug 852482) and the ability to resume a download from
where it stopped (bug 836437). We'll work on other features in the
meantime, but these should be enough to get most of the consumer
interface ready to be tried out.

Cheers,
Paolo