The new find bar shifting down content

Mike de Boer mdeboer at mozilla.com
Thu Aug 29 10:19:16 UTC 2013

AFAIK the plan is to back it out of Aurora. When Asa wrote the following...

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 9:48 AM, Asa Dotzler <asa at mozilla.com> wrote:
> Can we move our focus to the other potential wins like better highlighting
> and word counting and put together a new plan for moving the Find bar to the
> top that has as it's first requirement to not shift content?

… I agreed. At this point there are quite a number of things that can be done to make the find bar more useful. Since I happen to be working on these things, but only during my spare time after Australis work, I'd like to be most efficient as to where I spend that time. Follow-up work on the content-shifting issues needs to be quantified and that effort needs to be put in perspective with the other potential wins as mentioned above (volunteers welcome!).

The current find-bar-on-top implementation is basically all folded into one property: <findbar position="top"/>. This makes it easier to eventually roll-out builds for A/B testing, which I've seen suggested in this thread. This also gives us two ways to back out this change: 1) remove the 'position' property and 2) back out the patches that are linked to bug 869543.

Personally, I don't feel very strongly about the positioning of the find bar; as all the IDEs/ editors I've used the past five years have the find bar located at the bottom, it didn't really bother me when I saw it in Firefox. But that opinion doesn't matter at all. I, living in geek-land, am not the intended audience moyenne of the product we ship. At this point we have a solution that is _at least_ good enough to be used for A/ B testing and I think that is an investment worthwhile to make. This way we might know for sure, without personal bias, what users want.

Cheers,

Mike.