The new find bar shifting down content

Brian Smith brian at briansmith.org
Wed Aug 28 20:30:55 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 9:48 AM, Asa Dotzler <asa at mozilla.com> wrote:
> Can we move our focus to the other potential wins like better highlighting
> and word counting and put together a new plan for moving the Find bar to the
> top that has as it's first requirement to not shift content?

I don't know how we go about prioritizing user needs, but it would be
very surprising for me if "user's don't know we don't have a 'find in
page' feature and/or don't know how to activate it" isn't at the top
of the list, at least with respect to the "find in page" feature. This
is something that is addressed by Australis. We clearly expect that
users will use the "find in page" feature through the hamburger menu a
lot, as we made it so prominent there. Since the hamburger menu pops
down on the upper-right corner of the page, a user that clicks "find
in page" in the hamburger menu is going to be looking at the
upper-right corner of the page after he clicks it. So, I think with
Australis there is a strong argument to be made that the find in page
box should be in the upper-right corner of the page.

(Interestingly, that is exactly how it works in Chrome.)

Cheers,
Brian