The new find bar shifting down content

Brian Smith brian at briansmith.org
Wed Aug 28 20:10:20 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 9:39 AM, Tim Van den Eynde
<tim_vdeynde at hotmail.com> wrote:

> - Page overlays that can't be scrolled out of their way, are annoying. I strongly
> dislike the find bar in Chrome for that reason, and also the URL hover that is
> default in all major browsers nowadays.

Although I don't have much issue with the URL hover, I do think that
the way the Chrome find bar overlays content makes me uncomfortable
even when it isn't covering up anything particularly important to the
page. It would be bad to ship this solution (or the other
alternatives) without A/B testing the options in a UX study.
Regardless, making decisions purely on the feedback of the "1%" of the
wizards that are participating in this thread seems like a way of
getting a wizard-optimized solution, perhaps at the expense of other
types of users. For example, I wouldn't be surprised to find that
wizards think the shifting find bar is too annoying while non-wizard
users actually may find it helpful for finding the find bar.

On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 9:26 AM, Chris Hofmann <chofmann at mozilla.com> wrote:
> If changes like this aren't producing big wins in user experience,
> and they aren't really making at least some people feeling great about using
> the product with the new feature, then we ought to consider backing
> off from them, and moving on to find things that really do move the needle.

+1.

Cheers,
Brian