Fwd: The new find bar shifting down content

Finn Bryant finnbryant at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 08:38:33 UTC 2013

On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 10:59 AM, Gavin Sharp <ga... at gavinsharp.com> wrote:

> As I understand it, "Don't shift content" is easy, but "don't obscure
> found content", which I am assuming we would also need as part of that
> solution, is more complicated in that setup.

Maybe I'm missing something, but as an alternate solution for this,
couldn't there be a chrome area that could be scrolled to outside the site.
When you open the find bar, it is silently enabled and you can then scroll
a find bar width (20ish pixels?) above content, if you choose to. When
you're done with the find bar, the outside of site scroll section could
stick around until you scroll out of it.

That way, you get no content shifting, a way to get the find bar out of the
way of the site if needed, no UI jumping at all (unlike chrome), and it is
less confusing for the user when they just happen to want to look at the
top of the page whilst the find bar is open, since they can scroll up to
see it, instead of figuring out they need to close the find bar, which is
slightly non-obvious since chrome rarely covers content like that.

Assuming that the only problem with this solution is the need to implement
an "out of site scrollable area", I'd think you'll need that for Mac OS
style rubber-band scrolling anyway, if/when you ever implement it.

Just mentioning in case this option got missed somehow...