The new find bar shifting down content

Gavin Sharp gavin at gavinsharp.com
Sat Aug 24 14:59:34 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 11:06 AM, Asa Dotzler <asa at mozilla.com> wrote:
> What needs to happen to make "not shifting any content" the requirement for
> this change and what kind of additional effort is required to actually
> effect that UX?

As I understand it, "Don't shift content" is easy, but "don't obscure
found content", which I am assuming we would also need as part of that
solution, is more complicated in that setup. We would likely need some
Gecko support for obtaining the viewport-relative position of text
selections.

Roc/Markus, do you have any thoughts on the complexity of that, or
alternate solutions?

> If it's extremely difficult, I think we should push the
> feature down the road -- there are simply too many other higher priorities.
> If we're close though, I too would like to see this finished as a nice
> incremental win that would fit in well with the larger UI re-org of
> Australis.

This makes sense to me.

Gavin