The new find bar shifting down content

Gavin Sharp gavin at gavinsharp.com
Sat Aug 24 14:44:54 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 7:55 PM, Stuart Cook <scook0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> As one of the affected Aurora users, I dutifully noted my displeasure
> at the time. But as with most UI feedback, I expected it to
> immediately fall into the "OMG change" black hole. So I'm pleased to
> see the topic being discussed.

A bit of a tangent just to clarify something: we sometimes use the
"OMG change" term as a dismissive way to poke fun at some reactions,
but as Robert points out, negative "OMG change" reactions are still
negative reactions, and we need to manage those and avoid causing them
where they can be avoided. So there should be no "OMG change black
hole", all user feedback is important. "OMG Change" should be used to
classify feedback (i.e. distinguishing "this is bad because of
inherent attribute X" vs. "this is bad because it is different than
other/previous behavior X"), not to dismiss it. Sometimes, "OMG
change" feedback is unavoidable, in cases where we think that the
benefits of changing something outweigh the potential for negative
reactions, but in those cases we should still try to minimize it (e.g.
by finding better ways to introduce the difference to users, better
communicating the reasoning/benefits, discovering and accommodating
interaction patterns from the old behavior, etc.).

Gavin