The new find bar shifting down content

Asa Dotzler asa at mozilla.com
Fri Aug 23 18:06:38 UTC 2013

On 8/23/2013 10:09 AM, Madhava Enros wrote:
> Hi all -
>
> I'm confused -- why are we still talking about content shifting?
> Aren't we agreed the the proposal/implementation currently on the
> table should not shift content down -- that it should overlay instead?
> This is what I see in UX Nightly, at least most of the time -- are we
> not currently on the road to that being what happens all the time?
>
> To me, with that caveat, I think this is worth shipping for the
> reasons I outlined before as well as the one Asa mentions
> (cross-browser consistency -- we know that most people use multiple
> browsers for different tasks). It doesn't contain everything we want
> to do, but it's a worthwhile increment in that direction.
>
> Madhava

+1.  Product and UX are aligned here.

What needs to happen to make "not shifting any content" the requirement
for this change and what kind of additional effort is required to
actually effect that UX?  If it's extremely difficult, I think we should
push the feature down the road -- there are simply too many other higher
priorities. If we're close though, I too would like to see this finished
as a nice incremental win that would fit in well with the larger UI
re-org of Australis.

- A