Download scanning performance

Brian Smith brian at briansmith.org
Fri Aug 23 17:36:32 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 10:30 AM, Paolo Amadini
<paolo.02.prg at amadzone.org> wrote:
> On 23/08/2013 19.18, Andrew Joakimsen wrote:
>> Personally I would like if this could be configured. No security scan and do NOT flag the file as downloaded from the Internet would be my preferred settings.
>
> This is a good suggestion, we can have an about:config preference to
> disable setting the zone on the file, like we had an option to disable
> scanning integration.

I suggest that we just don't do that. Windows already has such a hidden pref:
http://www.intelliadmin.com/index.php/2011/01/remove-that-downloaded-from-the-internet-warning/

Mac seems to have something similar:
http://lifehacker.com/5584722/disable-mac-os-xs-downloaded-from-internet-warnings

IMO, in general we shouldn't spend effort on prefs, *especially*
hidden prefs, and especially when there are other ways of getting the
same or similar behavior.

Cheers,
Brian