The new find bar shifting down content

Ehsan Akhgari ehsan.akhgari at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 17:16:33 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Madhava Enros <madhava at mozilla.com> wrote:

> Hi all -
>
> I'm confused -- why are we still talking about content shifting? Aren't we
> agreed the the proposal/implementation currently on the table should not
> shift content down -- that it should overlay instead?

Where did this agreement happen?  Gavin mentioned that we want to get
feedback about the current implementation on beta, which sort of implied
that this feedback will be part of the decision of whether to ship what we
currently have?

> This is what I see in UX Nightly, at least most of the time -- are we not
> currently on the road to that being what happens all the time?

Is that the same behavior as in regular Nightly?  i.e, do you see the
content shifting in Gmail or Zimbra for example?

> To me, with that caveat, I think this is worth shipping for the reasons I
> outlined before as well as the one Asa mentions (cross-browser consistency
> -- we know that most people use multiple browsers for different tasks). It
> doesn't contain everything we want to do, but it's a worthwhile increment
> in that direction.

I never questioned whether the find bar should be at the top.  I would like
to argue that if that is our goal, then we should come up with a decent
implementation for it.  It seems to me that currently the implementation
difficulties are dictating the UX of the find bar (e.g., it was more work
to make it overlay the content correctly, so we just made it not shift
content some of the time, etc.)

--
Ehsan
<http://ehsanakhgari.org/>