The new find bar shifting down content

Asa Dotzler asa at mozilla.com
Fri Aug 23 16:48:50 UTC 2013

I'm excited to see the Find bar enhancements coming along -- especially
the word counting and highlighting previews I've seen.  However, I'm not
sure that moving the Find bar to the top is worth as much time and
attention as this feature is taking.

I'm not sure  what's driving the move of the Find bar to the top of the
page other than it being one of the many Find in page paper cuts.  I'm
not saying it's a bad idea, but it's not a priority feature, IMO  --
certainly not enough  of a priority to ship in an incomplete state
risking user attrition.

IMO, the most valuable reason to move the bar is consistency with all of
the other modern browsers.  While I think we could make a solid case
that a bar at the top is a better experience, content shifting is not an
acceptable trade-off.

Can we move our focus to the other potential wins like better
highlighting and word counting and put together a new plan for moving
the Find bar to the top that has as it's first requirement to not shift
content?

- A