Download scanning performance

Monica Chew mmc at mozilla.com
Fri Aug 23 16:18:10 UTC 2013

Hi Paolo,

> The other alternative we see is to reimplement the scanning integration
> code, with significant more development effort and with a higher chance
> of keeping the same performance issues we had at the end of downloads.

I think it makes less and less sense as time goes on to consider porting the old IAttachmentExecute scanner. Windows 8 now comes with built-in virus scanning, so building scanning into Firefox means that Windows clients will scan twice, in addition to the Application Reputation API checks.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-defender#1TC=t1

In addition, we could close all the bugs you mention below :) I support removing nsDownloadScanner entirely.

Thanks,
Monica